General Military Funding Questions

Financial Aid, VA, and TA all come from different funding sources and are processed through different offices.

  • Financial Aid helps students pay for college through federal aid/loans, grants, and scholarships. It is available to most students.
  • VA benefits are administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs and are available to most veterans and active duty personnel, as well as many military dependents.
  • TA is a benefit paid to active duty military students by their branch of service to help cover the cost of tuition.

Some funding sources are incompatible, constitute double dipping, or simply aren’t beneficial when used at the same time. Often, scholarships are awarded in the form of nonresident tuition waivers, which our students often already have. Tuition-only scholarships, resident tuition waivers, exemptions, and discounts are deducted from the amount certified to the VA. In most cases, use of VA and TA to pay the same costs constitutes double dipping.

G.I. Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Funding is disbursed in the order payments are received. The Office of the Bursar is not a financial institution. Monies cannot be held, directed, or disbursed in a requested order.

The University cannot disburse funds until we have received them. Once your Bursar’s account balance is paid in full, excess funds may be refunded to you. If additional funds in the form of VA or TA become available, they may be refunded to you. VA and TA are processed after the start of term following a strict timetable and cannot be processed early.


To submit a certification request, log in at using your OUNetID (4+4) and password. Click "Add Request" under the Benefits Request header. Select the semester for which you are requesting benefits, then click the checkbox next to each class that you want certified for payment by the VA. If you have chosen to use TA Top-Up, click the checkbox labeled, “Using TA”. Save our request to submit.

You may submit your courses for certification as soon as you have successfully registered in the course. Certifications are submitted to the VA starting at the beginning of each semester. If a request is received prior to the start of the semester, the request will be held until it can be processed. Don’t worry if you submit your course a little late. The VA allows coursework to be submitted up to one year after the last day of the course.

The University of Oklahoma reports tuition and fees to the VA following the start of the certified term. This helps to reduce the potential of incurring a debt to the VA. The VA normally pays the university within three to six weeks. However, they often pay sooner. Students receiving funds such as housing, book and supply stipends, and Montgomery G.I. Bill® payments directly from the VA will be paid in accordance with VA policy.

G.I. Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Housing Allowance is automatically paid to eligible students who are in greater than half-time status and have been certified. Housing payments are calculated in 10-percent increments, starting at 50 percent and moving up to 100 percent, based on a student’s rate of pursuit. For Undergraduate Students, six hours in each eight-week mini term is considered full time and will earn full-time housing. A single, three hour, eight-week course is not enough to engage the housing benefit, as it is half-time, but not greater than half-time. In the standard 16-week spring and fall terms full-time status is 12 hours. For graduate students, nine hours is considered full time during spring and fall; four hours is considered full time in the summer. Housing for on-site courses in Oklahoma and Europe will be paid at the Norman, Oklahoma rate. Courses held anywhere else in the United States will receive the rate of the local training facility where the course is held. Online courses, independent learning, internships, and dissertation hours will be paid at the distance rate, which is half the national average rate. If you are eligible to receive housing, the VA will pay it directly to you via check or electronic funds transfer. If you are unsure if you are eligible to receive housing, or if you believe that there has been an error with your housing payment, please contact the VA directly.

For undergraduate students, full-time status requires six hours in each eight-week mini term. Sixteen-week courses, held in the spring and fall, require 12 hours to be considered full time. For graduate students, full-time status requires nine hours in the Spring and Fall, but only four hours in the Summer. High intensity, on-site courses, such as Advanced Programs Seminars are always certified as full time provided that the course is less than eight weeks from the last add/drop date to the last assignment due date.

Each day in class will use a day of benefit. Courses taken concurrently only expend one day of benefit per calendar day in class. High intensity, on-site courses are certified from the add/drop date to due date of the last assignment, as reflected on the published syllabus.

Though courses taken concurrently with COMPS can be certified, as there are no hours or charges associated with COMPS, the VA will not pay benefits for them.

Dropped and cancelled courses will be reported to the VA automatically. If you have extenuating circumstances, such as a death or illness in your family, change or loss of a job, orders, etc., please notify us

TA Top-Up helps to pay for tuition and fees not covered by Military Tuition Assistance. Each term, after enrollment in courses has been completed and TA has been approved, send a request to certify to In the request, please include the courses you want certified, the term that the courses fall in, and your nine-digit student ID number (112-XX-XXXX). Students must notify us of their intent to use TA Top-Up.


The military typically approves $250 per credit hour and you are responsible for covering the difference, including any additional tuition and fees.

The first step for all students is to work with their local education officer (Navy, Coast Guard, Marine Corps) or online system (Army, Air Force) to initiate the process of utilizing TA benefits. Once the military approves your TA request, students from all branches except Army should submit their TA to the university. Army students do not need to submit anything, as the TA representative will process their TA based on Go Army Ed enrollments.

  • Air Force: Apply no later than seven days before the start of the course and no sooner than 45 days before the course.
  • Army: You must apply for TA no later than the day before the course starts. You cannot apply for a class more than 60 days before the start of the course. If you are within this time and you cannot find the course in GoArmyEd the registration close date, which is the add/drop date of the course, has passed. We can re-open the course in the portal if you ask us to. You MUST enroll in the course on OU’s side AND apply for TA in GoArmyEd as we are not networked. If you apply for TA and are approved and then you try to enroll, but the course is full, we will have to reject your TA in the portal.

Army: Registering for courses in GoArmyEd is how you request TA, but you must also register for your courses with OU. You will not need to upload anything to the TA database.

After you receive your approval, you will upload your signed PDF to the database ( and it will be processed at the end of the free add/drop period, unless you are a student taking classes at an OU North America or Europe site location. Students enrolled at a site location should turn their completed form into their site director.

You can submit your TA to the University late if you applied for TA within the date parameters of your branch of service.

Except for Army TA, TA cannot be processed unless you have submitted a TA form. All account adjustments, including TA, take place after the free add/drop period has ended for the course/term.

  • OU College of Professional and Continuing Studies North America and Europe: TA is applied the month following the start of the course.
  • Army: The Army will push courses that start in the last half of the month to the next invoice. In some cases, you will not get TA processed until two months following the start of the course.
  • Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard: There is no way for OU to see that you have applied for TA, unless you have turned in a TA form.

Grades are only submitted for students whom have turned in TA forms to the University.

It is the responsibility of the student to notify their TA/billing representative of any enrollment changes after the free add/drop date. Upon notification, we will refund whichever military branch paid the TA.

The military will recoup the money from you. Most branches will not pay for any course for which you receive a “D” or less as an undergraduate student or a “C” or less as a graduate student. Each branch has a limited period that you may make up an “I” grade and still receive funding. Check with your specific branch of service for details.

MyCAA is spousal Financial Assistance (FA). This FA is applied for and processed through the Air Force portal AFAEMS. The rules for MyCAA are very specific. All the information must be correct, or it will not be processed. MyCAA can ONLY be used for a certificate program. You MUST be participating in a certificate program BEFORE you can use MyCAA.

Yes. VA can be submitted up to one year after the last day of the course.

Related question: How do I get certified?