The CLS offices have temporarily relocated as the McCarter Hall of Advanced Studies receives HVAC and cosmetic upgrades. After more than 50 years of continuous use, the building will receive essential maintenance including the replacement of all HVAC hardware, ductwork and wiring, as well as the removal of closets, chest-of-drawers and bathtubs left over from the building’s original dorm design.
Built as part of the Oklahoma Center for Continuing Education (OCCE) in 1961, the six-story Hall of Advanced Studies’ original function was a short-term dormitory for adult students pursuing their degrees through a combination of independent study and intensive on-site seminars. The building was eventually named in honor of Dr. Pete Kyle McCarter, an early advocate of creating a “suitable university program of liberal education for adults” at OU, and who also served as both OU’s Executive Vice President from 1953 to 1968 and as the University’s first Provost from 1968 to 1973.
Renovations are expected to last up to 9 months before CLS will be able to return to McCarter Hall in early 2014.
Note: The College of Liberal Studies was renamed the College of Professional and Continuing Studies in 2017.