The PACS School of Aviation Studies recently recognized scholarship recipients for both the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters. The students were honored at a small ceremony at Max Westheimer Airport. The event was streamed online for the school’s advisory board, parents and friends.
While it wasn’t the large ceremony held in past years, Eric Wydra, director of the School of Aviation Studies, said they were grateful to have an in-person ceremony.
“I want to say a tremendous thanks to all of you as students for your resilience in being able to navigate all the stuff we threw at you over the last year. So, for all of you in all the different tracks who had to make those adaptations, thank you. It’s been a tough year and a half.” - Dean Martha Banz
“We were very happy to do one, as we did not have a ceremony last year,” Wydra said. “This gave us an opportunity to recognize our recipients. Most were able to attend, while still allowing a larger crowd to attend virtually.”
Martha Banz, dean for PACS, was the senior representative at the event. She recalled the events of the past year and praised students for their tenacity and perseverance when classes went virtual and flight operations were canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We are so incredibly proud of you,” Banz told the recipients. “I want to say a tremendous thanks to all of you as students for your resilience in being able to navigate all the stuff we threw at you over the last year. So, for all of you in all the different tracks who had to make those adaptations, thank you. It’s been a tough year and a half. You’ve really thrived, and we’re excited to be able to congratulate you here.”
Before introducing the awards, Wydra asked the students to look around at each other. He told them they’d likely cross paths with each other again in their leadership roles as they advance in their careers.
“We produce leaders in the aviation industry, and you are the living, breathing example of that,” he said.
Those receiving scholarships for Fall 2020 were:
- Kate Kapocsi, Margie Richison Women's Aviation Scholarship
- Henil Rathod, Tom Clark Scholarship – Aviation Management Flying
- Briana Daugherty, Tom Clark Scholarship – Air Traffic Management
- Mike Yost, Tom Clark Scholarship – Professional Pilot
- Brittany Holt, Tom Clark Scholarship – Aviation Management Non-Flying
- Noman Erkin, Joe Coulter Scholarship
- Enitan Adetona, Kubala Human Fund Scholarship
- Samantha Miller, Flight Time
- Kevin Valley, Stick-N-Rudder Award
Those receiving scholarships for Spring 2021 were:
- Samantha Miller, Captain Isaac Algaze Aviation Scholarship
- Caylin Cannady, Lindy Ritz ATC Scholarship
- Henil Rathod, James M. Cook Memorial Scholarship
- Elizabeth Phillips, Rankin Family Scholarship in Memory of James Edward McCarthy
- Enitan Adetona, Winifred Adams Holland Scholarship
- Caylin Cannady, Carson Family Student Aviation Leadership/Volunteer Scholarship
- Mike Yost, Daniel & Melissa Hesselius CFI Scholarship
- Aidan O'Bannion, Stick-N-Rudder Award
Interested in an aviation degree? Visit the School of Aviation Studies website to learn more.